Why do I choose this topic? Teasing is about relationship and love
Paul Grice outlined 4 principles of communication driving since communication:
- Quality: TRUTH (honest, based in evidence…)
- Quantity: INFORMATIVENESS (not too wordy or opaquely succinct)
- Relation: RELEVANCE (relevant, on the topic, avoid meandering into digressions, irrelevances or stream of consiciousness flights of fancy)
- Manner: CLARITY (direct, clear, to the point)
Politeness is achieved through systematic violations of the maxims. So is teasing, surprisingly.
To better tease, all you have to do is:
- Exaggerate, describe fantastically (Break Rule 1)
- Repeat, be excessively brief or redundant (Break Rule 2)
- Digress (Break Rule 3)
- Be vague, oblique, use metaphor, idiomatic expressions, nicknames, vocal cues… (Break Rule 4)
Are you polite? or teasing? Whats you preferred way to tease? What is your best story?